eARThshaking Art Teacher!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Importance of Art Education

I have been working on a presentation on the value of art education.  Having been an artist or creative person literally my entire life, I know, first hand how much art education has helped me.  I have always excelled in all things creative.  But, interestingly, as a kid I also excelled in math (loved it), science (ah, it was ok), writing and grammar (got it and loved it), and social studies (fascinated by it). The ONE THING that I have seen throughout my life was that the logical, sequential ordering I learned in art and creative processes also worked in mathematical equations.  I learned the properties and then worked the math problems step by step, just like I sewed the many pieces of a tailored wool coat together or assembled a collage or wove macrame or threw a pot on a wheel. Step by step by step.  And, adding inventive and experimental thinking increased the outcome. Art teaches life.

 I was just talking to someone today, visiting in the hallway, while we were waiting for some standardized testing to start back up after lunch, and I said that one would think that 90% of what I do is teach art and 10% is teach life.  I said some may think it is 50/50.  But really, I teach about 70% life and 30% art. Probably the most exciting thing for me as an art teacher is I KNOW my students are gaining skills, thought processing, logic, sequencing skills, innovative thinking, inventive thinking, experimental thinking, and real experience that will help prepare them for the rest of their life...and the future of our world.  Brilliant minds exist in the art room. I see them every day. This video is one of the best I've seen on the importance of art education.  I think it will further present the case for a quality art education program for our young people. Enjoy!