eARThshaking Art Teacher!

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Midnight Skype Slumber Party

As I prepare to go to Istanbul this summer as a Fund for Teachers Fellow my mind is racing to think of ways to incorporate my own students into this experience.  One idea I've thought of is a midnight Skype session! The idea is that at 8:00am and 8:15am in the MORNING in Istanbul, from the 3rd floor rooftop restaurant of my hotel which has wifi, I would call 2 families each morning for a short Skype session.  It will be midnight or 12:15am when I call them.  I'm thinking of having a "drawing" for the six families that would commit to having the Skype slumber party in their home and invite several of their child's friends to spend the night.  In this way, I'll have maybe 5 or 6 or more of my students gathered in one place.  The parents will also have to commit to knowing how to use Skype and holding the date firm, save emergencies.  I think this would be a terrific way for me to include my students in the overall experience of going to Istanbul.  From the rooftop of the hotel I can show them the Sea of Marmara and the Hagia Sophia, as well as hopefully just pan my iPad around and show them the historical area of Istanbul.  Perhaps I can even get some of the hotel staff to say hello to my students! What a "cool" way to bring Istanbul alive to my students.  Then, next fall, these students could tell their art classes about the experience.  Of course, wifi isn't always dependable when you are in other countries so we'd have to keep our fingers crossed that technology would work for us. Pretty sure I'll be doing this. Now to think of something else to do! By the way, you can view the Skype badge which links to the Skype in the Classroom lesson I'll be creating for the trip on this blog. Just click on the badge and it will take you to the lesson. The lesson isn't developed yet, but at least you'll know where to find it.  When art transcends the four walls of the art room, students are learning so much more about the world around them and we, as art educators, are using art for its maximum potential to engage our students in a meaningful learning space.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel 
read only one page."  
-Augustine of Hippo