eARThshaking Art Teacher!

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

ITALY: Alice Gori Inspired 1st Grade Clay Slab Tea Light Holders

This project is PERFECT for teaching YOUNG students the fundamentals of rolling out a slab and adding some embellishment. I did this project with my first graders and it was a great way to introduce them to clay. Next year they will do a more advanced project involving slipping and scoring and pinch pot technique, but they were so proud of their tea light holders! Alice Gori was a ceramist who gave us a tour of her studio and also taught us a couple days of ceramics lessons while I was in Italy last summer. She is revered in the Italian architectural world and is the go to person to restore ages old ceramics in churches, historical buildings, museums, etc.



Above: Students tea light holder on display in the school library. 


 Above: Alice Gori tea light holder that I ferociously guarded in my carry on bag while returning from Italy.  Below: A piece of Alice's work before firing that I also brought home with me. 




Above: The very talented Alice Gori in her studio outside of Borgo San Lorenzo, Italy.