eARThshaking Art Teacher!

Monday, June 16, 2014

Follow Istanbul Fellowship @worldwidecwp

You can follow the Fund For Teachers Fellowship I'll be going on in four days on Twitter at @worldwidecwp.  Also, for those of you have asked....I did not apply to go to a workshop in Istanbul that a "lot of other art teachers" are going to.  Instead, Fund For Teachers allows K-12 teachers to write grant proposals for areas of the United States or the entire rest of the world where they feel like they can do important professional development. I had heard about this mosaic workshop in Istanbul and chose to write about it for my grant proposal. It looks like I'll be participating with seven mosaic artists from the United States, one from Turkey, one from Tunisia, one from Australia, and a couple from Sweden. As far as I can tell I am the only school teacher participating. It's going to be exciting to explore the Byzantine and Ottoman mosaics of Istanbul as we work in a 16th century building to create our own. I'm pretty sure I'm going to turn into a mosaic making machine after this. I've always loved doing mosaic, have done several over the years, and have taught many a school mosaic making project. As a painter, it easily makes sense. It's just a bit more messy and requires a whole lot more muscle!

This is a mosaic from Musiwa 2013 in Florence, Italy. This is a link to the website showing beautiful contemporary mosaics: http://www.mosaicartnow.com/2013/08/contemporary-mosaic-flourishes-in-florence-musiwa-2013/