eARThshaking Art Teacher!

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Confessions of an Art Ed Blog Groupie

I must confess! I LOVE ALL THE ART EDUCATION BLOGS AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET! I've been reading them for years and have just kept thinking I'm going to do that someday! These art educators, many of whom I know and have met at NAEA and my state conference, inspire me on a daily basis. You see, art teachers are probably the most giving, sharing people I know. They grasped very quickly the CREATIVITY of blogging.  In a field that mostly writes its own curriculum, blogging quickly became the go-to source for art teachers to find inspiring projects that promote higher-level thinking in the art room and, quite frankly, just add to the colorful-splashy-messy-slurpy-glossy-powdery-think-goopy mess we art teachers find ourselves in each and every day!  While the theme of my blog is globally inspired art and globally inspired education (that's different than culture and folk art), I will continue to be...
...mesmerized by my art blogging rocking educator friends.  Being creative might just be the best thing I get to do.  Being creative with students is even better. So, drum roll please! I'll share a few of my favorite art ed blogs with you:

1) Of course, Deep Space Sparkle is the FIRST art ed blog I ever came across and many of Patty's projects have graced the walls of my art hallways. Here's the link:  www.deepspacesparkle.com

2) As a former fashion designer myself, I am inspired in a quirky, fun way by Cassie Stephens and her brilliant "What the Art Teacher Wore!"  Here's the link: http://cassiestephens.blogspot.com

3) Young Jessica Balsley, always with a flower in her hair, has set the art education world on fire with her "Art of Ed" movement. It's not just a blog or website. It's a movement! I had the privilege of participating in the first ever online art education professional development workshop or webinar with about 2,000 art educators from around the world through Jessica's wonderful organization. And, was honored to present at the second one to about 1,800 educators on globally inspired art. Here's the link: www.theartofed.com

4)  Then there is the spunky, zany, ever creative Art with Mr. E! What an inspiration! Here's the link:
www.artwithmre.com

5) Recently I became familiar with Smart Class. Wow. Some amazing ideas!  Here's the link: http://www.elementaryartfun.blogspot.com

6) These days I'm enjoying Zamarano Elementary School in San Diego, California's blog.  I toured this school that is a fine arts academy in April of 2014 when I was at the NAEA Convention.  Here's the link: http://zamoranoarts.blogspot.com

7) And I saved the best for last! School Arts Magazine also does the SchoolArtsRoom Blog. It's packed with ideas, expanded articles from the magazine, and all things art Ed. Here's the web address: www.schoolartsroom.com

There are quite a few organizations and sites out there recognizing great art education blogs.  Of course, Jessica Balsley at The Art of Ed does this every year.  And, this is a great listing of the 50 best art blogs: http://mastersinarteducation.com/2010/top-50-art-education-blogs/  Goals are always good to have! I think I have some work to do. I'd like to see this blog on one of those lists! Maybe someday! But for now, back to splishing, splashing, and splattering!